Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Good Old Days



I spent this weekend in Columbus, Ohio at the Kirk Herbstreit National Kickoff Classic event, which took place in the Ohio State University Football Stadium.  The event hosted eight of the top high football teams in the country.    Two games were played on Sunday and two on Monday.  As I looked on, this experience certainly brought me back to my high school days.  The student sections roaring with chants back and forth while the cheerleaders danced and the bands played.  Now, I am well aware I still have cherished days of being in college and part of a great tradition at Marquette University but it made me fear graduating.
The reason I was at the Kirk Herbstreit Kickoff Classic is because I intern for a sports marketing company called Intersport based out of Chicago.  Intersport runs the show and puts everything together for the event.  This is one of many events the Intersport conducts.  The fascinating part for me is that every event I learn something new about advertising and marketing.
For this particular event there was no title sponsor.  The four sponsors were FRS healthy performance products, Geico, Marines and Nike.  I find it fascinating the amount of dedication brands will contribute to advertising their products.  The football games were being aired on ESPN and ESPNU so the brands had an opportunity for good TV time. Intersport’s main responsibility for the event is to make sure the advertisements are visible and presentable considering the companies are paying money to be there.  As a staff member we had to set up banners that lay along the bleachers.  They measured approximately 50x50 in length to be easily visible on TV.  We also set up boards along the sidelines that displayed advertisements.  FRS was also distributed to all players and coaches. 
The world of marketing and advertising is fascinating and the newest tactics and ideas become increasingly creative and fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment